Thursday, August 4, 2011

Parenting Book Poll

Alright readers (the handful of you who visit this blog) :-) -- I would love to hear what parenting books you have read and, for the moms with older kids than I, what has really worked great for your kids so far? What techniques do you use for handling tantrums and/or whining? What techniques do you use for discipline when they disobey? What was the overall parenting philosophy that made the most sense to you?

We are just entering the whining and testing limits stage. Definitely not too bad yet, though I know this sweet girl has it in her to give us a run for our money, as most toddlers do. She still responds well to limit setting and obeys almost every time. Our loose end has been oodles of whining, so that is what we are getting creative with right now. I think part of this stems from Emily still being a bit behind on communication and the fact that toddlers in general can get frustrated as they try to communicate. But I keep thinking that when she gets the pointing thing down, it will help considerably for her to tell me what she needs or wants. She's picked up the all done and more signs at mealtime a few times this past week, so it is all getting there!

I'll start with my review first: Greg and I are going through the book Love and Logic for Early Childhood with a couple of friends in the neighborhood. It has already given me some great ideas that at least are helping me be a better parent. The first is that I need to go hard of hearing when the whining begins. In other words, I need to detach myself from the frustration and escalation that "tuning in" to the whining can bring. This has helped tons!! Another tip has been to have a phrase that I repeat with empathy whenever I'm responding to her tantrums. I have picked the phrase "I know", and it is helping me to actually feel empathetic as I help her work through her frustration. When doling out consequences for disobedience, I have ended up saying "How sad..." before I explain the consequences and remove her from the situation. This wasn't my favorite phrase in the book, but it is rolling off my tongue, so I guess it is going to stick! We are not really to the stage where I can offer many choices to her yet, since language and pointing haven't come in much, but that is a huge thing with Love and Logic. Lots and lots of choices where kids learn to exert control (in areas where we are comfortable with them having control) leads to self-confident, independent thinkers. I totally agree with this! I am excited to do this more with her as she gets older. The more control I allow her to have in the small things, the more respectful she might be of the limits I set on the things that matter. The book emphasizes that the early years can be very fun and rewarding if you have an action plan in place for diffusing tantrums and building the child's confidence. The only thing I see missing in this book so far is a scriptural framework to pull from. It is not that the book is anti-scripture by an means, but it doesn't give me a way to weave God's truths into the childrearing experience. And that is extremely important to me! I think there are some other books out there that can speak to that overall goal and will hopefully fit together well with some of the practical suggestions from Love and Logic.

Ok- your turn! What should I read next and why?

9 comments:

  1. I'm not a mom, but we went through the parenting class at church and they use the book "Raising Kids Gods Way" Super helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "Don't Make Me Count to Three" by Ginger Plowman because it addresses the heart issues of what your children are really expressing w/their behavior. It also gives verses to then apply to the behavior. With the barrage of great parenting books/advice out there, I found the simplicity of this book to be refreshing and effective.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding on to my comment...
    Ginger has also authored a small book called "Wise Words for Moms" which she lists twenty-some different behaviors and then the verses that address them. (There are only a few of these in the aforementioned book.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Libby (and Friends),

    There are many different parenting books out there. I have read my fair share, and gleaned from each one the best ways for US to raise our beloved children under the direction and guidance of the spirit that lives within us. Therefore, I don't have ONE parenting book that I can fully recommend, but I encourage you to pray about your parenting style & your individual children and find a way that works best for you. One book I CAN recommend is the Proverbs. I have a journal (that you are more than welcome to see), where I went through the proverbs and listed topics of wisdom that can be gleaned from God's word. (Inspired from Ginger Plowman's 'Wise Words for Mom'). I then began using scripture to encourage, teach, challenge and edify my own behavior, as well as my childrens. :) Be encouraged. God's word has a TON of advice on living, as well as parenting. It's good stuff.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darryl, Melissa, and Bev--

    Thank you so much for sharing!! Darryl- sorry to have forgotten to include dads in my question. I am very glad you shared with me! We have not had a chance to go through the parenting class at church.
    Melissa- I haven't heard of Plowman's books before and am excited to read them. Bev- YES. Amen and amen. I really like your idea of journaling through the proverbs and soaking in what is written that you see right now can apply to life and parenting. In being discipled in the Word ourselves, we are going to become who we want our children to follow. I needed a reminder from our last conversation that our greatest gift to our children is to give them God's love and truth at every opportunity.
    You guys are awesome! I appreciate everyone walking alongside (and before) me as I learn this parenting thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry... me again. Just to shout a hearty AMEN to what Bev said! Studying Proverbs is a great way to go, not only for you as a parent but even for your kids when they get older. We are having Cam & Jack read through a chapter of Proverbs each week and journal alongside it. It's been neat to see the simple truths open their eyes and develop their understanding of wisdom. Yes, it's truly good stuff. :)
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Libby,

    There's a lot of good stuff out there and other have already left great advice, but I'll add a little since I think "In an abundance of counselors there is victory" and I always like to hear as much as I can. I am going through a study right now called "Entrusted with a Child's Heart." It is excellent so far. Some of the things I really like about it: 1) It doesn’t divorce parenting from the rest of life, but speaks to how it fits in to our relationship with God and our marriage, too. 2) The leader/author is hesitant to give too many example of specific standards that her family set because she doesn't want people following that. Instead she points to the difference between biblical convictions and personal convictions and she maintains over and over that we are never to compromise the biblical convictions, but also never to parade or compare our personal convictions too much. She also speaks to the truth that we are constantly evaluating our kids' hearts and our family's situation and the effectiveness of our personal convictions and then re-evaluating/adjusting our personal convictions for our family. The study is full of the wisdom of Scripture and experience so far and I am so thankful to glean from it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best book I've read on parenting is "Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child" by John Gottman. I find that the framework he trains you to think with is already useful for me with an infant and I am looking forward to seeing how well I can stick with it as Sofia grows up.

    ReplyDelete