Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Two painless transitions!

No, not done with the bottles yet. :-) I wish I could say that I snapped my fingers this week and that one was accomplished, but we are going to take that one nice and slow. I greatly appreciate my friend Brittany's wise suggestions about talking through the change with E, heaping loads of patience and love on her during the change, and simultaneously hyping up the cups of milk as I make the bottles less attractive. Thanks, friend!! I will also wait til her two teeth finally poke through and her first ever diaper rash goes away. Poor girl!

In the last two days, though, I am super happy to say that Emily has moved out of sleep sack mode and onto a blanket with NO fuss! In fact, most naps and bedtimes the last 2 days have happened much faster and with less "talking" than before. And she's been sleeping great at each nap and nighttime as well! I had been afraid to lose the sleep sack because I thought it had become a cue for sleep for her and I was worried she might get cold (especially napping in a tshirt, shorts, and no socks). But she hasn't missed it at all. Woohoo! She had outgrown the sack we had been using, and I couldn't bring myself to buy yet another new size. And I figured a warm summer would be a much better time to get her used to a blanket than when it was already cold here.

The other success is that I think we've found a lovey in the last two days as well! I pulled out a super soft, thin, small white blanket to drape over her during naptime yesterday morning. She ended up balling it up, biting on it, and falling asleep almost instantly! I have given her many other soft items this size, but she'd always chunk them away. I tested my theory yesterday afternoon when she was fussing to see if this had indeed been a comfort to her. She beamed when I brought it downstairs and handed it to her! She lets us hold it while she has her bottle before bed, whereas the other items I was offering as a lovey she would toss aside. I am a little bummed that it is white since it will be impossible to keep clean. And I will have to hope that Bering's in Houston still sells this little blanket so we have a backup. But yay for finally having something to transition away from the comfort of bottles!!

Today has reminded me that though we have one sticking point in this household at the moment, there have been so many things to rejoice over as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment