Wednesday, November 16, 2011

16 months

Another month has come and gone and somehow they seem to be flying by faster than I can breathe now. I've blinked and we are already to 16 months!

Emily, you are amazing me and delighting me in new ways, sweet girl. I find so much joy in watching you discover how things work and seeing your face light up about things you enjoy. You are showing yourself to be strong willed, opinionated, and determined, skills that will serve you so well in your future! (I know because I passed that gene right on down to you!) At the same time, I feel like you are also incredibly obedient. I see you wrestle in you mind with your desire to do one thing and yet deciding to obey our instructions instead much of the time. I pray that as your sweet toddler years begin that we will be consistent, kind, and wise parents to help instruct the bold heart God has given to you.

Some of your favorite things this month have been: perfecting your undressing prowess, blankie, any picture of a horse, your little people's farm, books/books/books! especially about animals, blowing kisses, learning how to scribble, finger painting, brushing your teeth, looking at family photos, putting tops on and off of jars over and over again, pretending to drink tea with your teaset, feeding your baby doll a bottle, accessorizing (with supervision) with mommy's bracelets and necklaces, cookies & milk before bathtime, your daily breakfast banana, and recently learning how to get in and out of a cozy coupe by yourself.

Things you'd rather skip: Getting dressed, changing your diaper, getting into the carseat, eating veggies (at least peas and brussel sprouts (??) still seem to be faves), teething, deep chest coughs, and mommy being on the phone.

You still prefer to sign your needs or point, but I can tell you are forming more sounds that will eventually turn into words. Tonight I got a taste of toddler speak at dinner with you. You were emphatically saying "me me me me me" and I wondered if you wanted your milk instead of your water. When that didn't stop the waterfall of me me's, I realized your little people's cow was right next to my plate. You were trying to moo! Once I handed you the cow you looked so relieved. :-) Sorry sweetie that I haven't translated much yet! Your favorite word is Neigh and you burst into "neigh neigh" whenever you see a horse, which is actually pretty often.

You started walking confidently this month, and now I don't worry about you taking falls anymore unless you don't see a step in front of you. You love to climb the stairs and go down them feet first on your belly. As soon as I see your little legs get tall enough, we'll work on taking big girl steps up the stairs.

I am amazed that at 16 months you are fitting most comfortably in 2T shirts! Anything else comes up too short on you now. Pants on the other hand are still best in the 12-18 mo size and even a few stretchy 12 mo ones.

You now have 12 teeth-- 12!!! Crazy! The bottom molars have just cut through your gums, and I pray that means your teething pain is almost over. Thank goodness for ibuprofen, because you have refused frozen washcloths and teethers to help with this. These teeth have given you a couple weeks of fitful sleep even with the ibuprofen, but overall I am super happy that your sleeping seems to be going swimmingly now. You are thrilled to start your nap and nighttime routines most of the time and now lay down without a peep. I think you are starting to love sleep! Yay! I also think walking all over the place has helped you get tired enough to love sleep.

Happy 16 months, Emily Katherine! We love you!

This is your "cheese" face. I LOVE IT!!!!

Being silly with your friend A

Our first attempt at a sensory box...black beans and oatmeal. I think it was a good start. You crawled in a few minutes later!

I love this picture.

Snow play take 2. You liked it this time because it wasn't falling on your face!

Totally not a fan of riding the donkey. But what a cute ladybug. :-)

Fun w/ Grandaddy when Gigi and he visited for a couple days


Feeding your baby. Amazing the entertainment a disappearing milk bottle from the dollar store can provide!

Raking leaves with Daddy!

Playing in the leaves. More like picking them up and handing them to me one at a time like they were pieces of trash, haha.

Tuckered out :-)

Sponge painting for the first time. Yay for a linoleum floor and washable paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment